Categories of hosting solutions
A hosting service implies saving and/or sharing specific content on a server managed by a hosting vendor. There are different classes of hosting services used for various purposes, so let's take a peek at these. In that way, you can pick what you want, on the basis of whether you wish to set up a web page, email addresses, or to share files with comrades and associates.
- File hosting: a solution supplied by some firms, which lets you share huge files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archived files, etc. This service is also known as file storage, and its single aim is to share files, since it does not support website uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either obtain an accidentally generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to see a table of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to load .html or .php website files in your browser. Free-of-charge file hosting packages are often supported by showing advertisements beside the download links, while a timer obliges you to wait for a particular period of time to observe them. A given file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you get a paid file storage plan, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download instantly, and also there is no limitation when it comes to the download speed or the file size.
At present, with the help of the cPanel hosting providers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more stylish "cloud hosting". This is a completely improper explanation of the real connotation of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting platform would apportion the load between separate groups of servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to attending various webspace hosting services (electronic mail, disk storage, stats, DNS, databases, Control Panel, and so on.) So, the file hosting solution is merely a kind of a storage space hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: comparable with file hosting; some providers offer a hosting solution for images solely. This hosting variant is good if you would like to share an immense quantity of pictures with buddies or associates since the solution is commonly free of charge. You will receive a randomly generated link for each pic or album and you can then share this link. As with the file hosting solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the solution cannot be used for websites.
- E-mail hosting: a solution dedicated to taking care of your e-mails. Some suppliers provide hosting services for websites, but do not offer an e-mail service. If you would like to launch an email address with your domain name but do not desire to have a website, then the e-mail hosting solution is what you need. You can set up e-mail box accounts and manage them, but there will be no web service for the domains. The e-mail hosting service involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP servers.
- Video hosting: this solution permits you to upload and share video clips. You can either share a link to a given video, or you can embed the video file in your web site that is hosted somewhere else. The benefit of availing of this approach instead of uploading the video file in a web hosting account is that the video clip produces a particular amount of central processing unit load, so with several videos and several hundred web page viewers, you may have a hard time with your web site hosting reserves. Embedding the video clip will permit you to keep as many video clips as you wish without bothering about system supplies.
- Web site hosting: this is the service that you require if you wish to run a site. To a certain extent, it contains all of the abovementioned hosting variants since, along with your websites, you can also host pictures and files, you can create databases and e-mail accounts, upload videos, and so on. At HD Web Hosting, for example, you can observe web hosting and dedicated hosting services that allow you to get all of the aforesaid services in one single place. There may be limitations based on the type of hosting solution that you've settled on - a free hosting account, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your website hosting package may be better or worse compared to the customary e-mail/file/video/image hosting accounts that are intended for specific content only.